Friday 5 June 2015

Immoderate Greatness


If you want to cheer yourself up read this book, no I'm not joking; you will laugh your way through the afternoon in sure knowledge we are all doomed. For me those lovely flowers in the previous post suddenly became, as they turn gracefully white, melancholic talismans of our inner and irredeemable tragedy. And when I went out to get the perfect modest lunch (a shish kebab) I felt a certain euphoria as I passed all the ladies with their push-chairs outside nostalgia orientated cafe's. It really is quite wonderful to know that the second law of thermodynamics is so stacked against us that it could be rack and ruin any day now. As Ophus quotes (on page 40): '...empires behave like all complex adaptive systems. They function in apparent equilibrium for some unknowable period. And then, quite abruptly, they collapse...(T)he shift from consummation to destruction and then to desolation is not cyclical.It is sudden.'
Am I running to the whisky bottle? Well I'd be excused I suppose, but no, I'm running instead to a practice seminar on the late work of the great Corbu, and I can feel nothing but energy for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment